One of my absolute favourite cuisines has to be Mexican. This is a recipe I have handed out to friends and work colleagues time and time again and have always had rave reviews back. For a meal on its own (great for lunches) I add vegetables such as carrots, broccoli, asparagus and tomato’s. I chop them up and add to the mince when I am browning it. Alternatively it can be served as per the recipe on sweet potato or in lettuce cups. Its perfect for summer and requires minimal cooking. I hope you enjoy this one as much as we do 🙂
4 tbs cumin powder
2 tbs garlic powder
1tbs Onion Powder
2 tbs dried oregano
3 tbs paprika
1 tsp Chilli powder or flakes (omit if you don’t like Chilli)
1 Kg of Beef Mince or Turkey Mince
1 Brown Onion Diced
1 Vegetable stock cube
½ – 1 Cup of water or stock
Salt to taste
- Mix all the spices in a bowl and put aside.
- Dice the onion and fry in large pan on medium to high heat till transparent
- Add mince and begin to fry breaking it up with a wooden spoon
- As the mince begins to brown add spices and stir through for approx 30 seconds.
- Add the stock and continue to stir till the spices are mixed through well.
- Turn pan down and simmer for 5 or so minutes.
Fresh Tomato and Cucumber Salsa
1/2x Red Onion
½ x Bunch coriander
1 x Lebanese Cucumber
3 x Large tomatoes
1 x Lime
Salt to taste
- Chop up the tomato’s and cucumber and coriander and put in a mixing bowl
- Squeeze the lime over and add a pinch of salt and mix together
- Serve in lettuce cups or on roasted sweet potato.
- Top with sliced or Mashed Avocado